Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Ike

I think the magnitude of what Hurricane Ike is capable of has finally sunk in. I found out today my mom decided to stay at our home and ride out the storm despite pleas from relatives who live in higher areas of Houston to stay with them. Family friends were supposed to come by today and help her board up the windows along the front of our house. They never showed up. Our home was built in the 50s so it's not necessarily the greatest structure for hurricane force winds and all the debris that comes with it. Houston has been very lucky in the last couple years, and has been spared the devastating effects of some powerful storms (Katrina, Rita, Gustav). I'd say a bit over do. So, I guess this is nature's way of evening out the playing field.....putting everything back into balance. Maybe. I really don't know. The fact that I have no control whatsoever is the hardest part. My house could be gone tomorrow, or it might be fine.....there's no way to tell until the storm passes. I would love to say that "I leave it in God's hands", but to be honest I don't. Instead I become frustrated and angry that I have no control.

I'm tired and not wanting to think about this anymore. Tomorrow will tell me what I need to know. Till then, sleep well.

Elena.

No comments: